Thank you!

Thank you for stopping by!!!!

Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Start Your Garden From Seeds



A few weeks ago, it was time to get the garden in order by selecting our seeds for the season.  Instead of buying our plants at our local nursery, my husband and I chose to grow them from seed.  We picked a variety of seeds that we knew the family would like, and even some new things we'd like to try this year.



Save your egg cartons, and your plastic berry 
containers!!  Fill them up 
with dirt and follow the directions
 on each seed packet!

I used Organic Plus Patio Plus Premium 
Outdoor Potting Mix.



Once the seeds were planted, water them and 
cover them with plastic wrap.  This helps them 
to germinate.   Don't pack down the 
dirt.  Once the seeds germinate, you can 
remove the plastic wrap and keep watering.  
(Sorry, I have no pictures for this step!)  
I grew them inside next to a window!  









Once they grow (like the pictures above),   
transplant them into bigger pots (red plastic cups).  
The cups are deeper and can help the roots of the 
plants grow.  We would have planted them 
directly to the ground, but the weather in
 the morning is still to cold and the sun is way to hot 
for these tender plants.


My husband drilled holes on the bottom of these 
red plastic cups.   Don't forget to water once 
you've moved your plants to their new home!!!





It's not to late in the season to start preparing your seeds. 
This is a great project for the kids to take part in. 

What will you grow? 
Happy gardening!





He Has Made Everything Beautiful In Its Time.  
                                                     Ecclesiastes 3:11  













2 comments:

Erin said...

I have a question for you. I just transplanted my plants outside on Monday and 4 of the 9 have been chewed to pieces (little holes in the leaves, half gone leaves, broken stems) and are now dead. I'm new to the gardening thing, so I'm not sure what to do to preserve my remaining 5 plants and protect the direct sow plants that I just planted.

inchworming said...

Well, I'm not an expert, but it sounds to me you may have little insects ready to eat anything green. I would take an empty water bottle and cut the bottom off. Drill or make a few holes around the empty water bottle to allow the plant to breathe. You can also take the cap off. Place bottle over plant after you've looked over your plant and removed any bugs (if you see any). Twist the bottle into the dirt. Remember to remove the bottle from the plant once it starts growing!! I really hope this works!!! Thank you for your question!