Thank you!

Thank you for stopping by!!!!

Monday, April 20, 2015

Healthy Tortillas With No Oil





My family loves Mexican food 
and those darn tortillas are 
so yummy, it's hard to do 
away with not eating tortillas 
like burritos, tacos, enchiladas 
etc. You know what I mean.  
 For health reason we needed to 
find a no oil tortilla recipe. 

While surfing the net, I came 
across  Oil Free (No Really!) Tortillas by Shella Brouimley

Well, I just had to try them and
 they were delicious!  The texture 
is slight different so I recommend 
you use Bread Flour and not 
Whole Wheat flour.   

I did change the 
#recipe slightly,
 so check out her recipe and 
decide which recipe you'd like to
 follow!  It wasn't a big change.

2 cups Bread Flour  
1/2 tsp Salt
3/4 tsp Baking Powder
1/4 cup milk 
    1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp water 
    
     Extra flour for kneading and rolling out



Mix flour, salt and baking powder
 together in large bowl. 

In a sauce pan heat up  milk, and
water to warm temperature.

Mix all ingredients together in bowl.  

Spread some flour on to counter and
transfer dough to counter.



Knead for 5 minutes until  smooth,
adding flour as needed if dough sticks.



Place dough back in the same mixing bowl
and cover. Place a towel or plastic wrap.

Rest for 40 minutes to one hour.




Separate the dough into 6-12 balls,
depending on how big you want them.

I believe I got 15 with this batch. 
 




Sprinkle a bit of flour to keep
the tortillas from sticking to
the rolling pin and counter
top, not much, just a bit.


Roll each ball into a tortilla.
The thickness is up to you,

I like them thin. 







Then place in preheated pan and
cook until you see small bubbles
on top or light brown cooked spots
 when you are about to flip 
over, do not burn. 





Flip over tortilla and wait a 
few seconds before you push down
a spot at a time with a kitchen
towel to allow it to bubble up.

You only need to press down one
or two times.

Place warm tortillas between a
clean kitchen towel to keep warm.




If you don't eat them right
away, allow tortillas to cool
completely before placing them
in a zip lock bag to refrigerator.








** The second time around when I made these tortillas I  used a tortilla press  to flatten them, then I rolled each one out.  You don't need one to make these!!!


Matthew 6:11



Give us today our daily bread.

   
 

No comments: